Friday, December 9, 2011

Thanksgiving Part 2

The second part of Thanksgiving, unfortunately, does not involve pictures. So settle in for some reading.

You know, every time I use the word Unfortunately, it reminds me of a book my parents would read to me as a child, and that, as I got older, I would read to myself and, even older, to my nephews. The copy I read from was old, secondhand; it belonged to my dad before me. It was his favorite book as a kid, and his name, in his child's handwriting, is written on the inside of the cover.

In the book, the main character goes through a series of mishaps that then turn out favorable. You know. Fortunately, Ned was invited to a surprise party. But Unfortunately, the party is a thousand miles away. Fortunately, his friend loans him his airplane. Unfortunately, the motor explodes. But Fortunately, he falls into water and survives. However, Unfortunately, the water has crocodiles. Fortunately, though, Ned can swim. Et cetera, et cetera.

I think a lot of life is like that. Like, for instance,

Unfortunately, Mia got a cold while my Mom was here, which she then passed on to her sisters.

Fortunately, she was pretty much done with hers by the time theirs really kicked in so there was always at least one happy, healthy baby to cheer us up.


Unfortunately, we got in that accident last month.

Fortunately, no one was hurt.


Unfortunately, it's been getting colder and colder here lately.

Fortunately, that means Christmas is right around the corner.


So I guess that's what I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving. I'm thankful that for every Unfortunately, there's always a Fortunately. For every bad thing that happens, there's always something good to counteract it. There's always a flip side. And the story always, always ends with Fortunately.

That's what I'm giving thanks for this season; that there is always something to give thanks for... if you can find it.

1 comment:

  1. I love your outlook on life, babe. I also love your writing. You are awesome! We are blessed to be so fortunate, aren't we??? love you, mom

    ReplyDelete